Research Paper On THE ROLE OF THE SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
The role of the school principal has always been complex because this professional does not have one role, he or she has multiple roles in the school. In his 1996 best-selling book, Leadership for the Schoolhouse, Thomas Sergiovanni demonstrated this fact by identifying and explaining nine essential tasks of the principal:
1. Purposing: bringing shared visions together (Sergiovanni, 1996).
2. Maintaining harmony: building mutual understanding (Sergiovanni, 1996).
3. Institutionalizing values: devising a set of procedures and structures to actualize the school's vision (Sergiovanni, 1996).
4. Motivating: encouraging staff and faculty (Sergiovanni, 1996).
5. Managing: planning, record-keeping, providing procedures; organizing, etc. (Sergiovanni, 1996).
6. Explaining: giving reasons for asking staff to do certain things (Sergiovanni, 1996).
7. Enabling: removing obstacles that prevent faculty and staff from meeting their objectives; providing needed resources (Sergiovanni, 1996).
8. Modeling: being responsible for modeling the school's purpose (Sergiovanni, 1996).
9. Supervising: ensuring the school meets its commitments and...
$24.75 (5 Pages)